Tuesday 21 December 2010

You were born where?

It has occured to me that a lot of people I know are in love with London, with this city. I am a Londoner, yes I was born here. I'm so lucky I hear many of you chime in, and I must agree to that one. Then again it is subjective. I think it's not where you were born but who you are telling. For example, if I were to tell a group of smalltown American teens that I was born in London it'd be cool to them, right? Just like being British is apparently cool to New Yorkers. To them anybody with a British accent is for sure a longlost relative of 007, uses the term 'positively debonair daahling' often, and posesses a ravishing mysterious aura. To us British, being British just means you secretly will never fault fish and chips no matter how much healthy eating becomes famous, and you can never go for a whole month without visiting Oxford Street. So yes, it's not where you were born It's to whom you are talking to. If I were to tell another Londoner that I was born in London it's be like ''and so your point is.

If I were telling another person who lives in London but was not born or grew up here- well let's just agree it wouldn't be very cool. You see, being born in London, to 'new' Londoners is not really ll that cool. There is a young breed of  people whom I like to call 'New Londoner's'. New Londoner's are not from London, weren't born here, did not grow up here, but merely live here. They can hail from anywhere- from Kent to Kenya, and have made a new life for themselves in this thriving Metropolis. They often have exciting quirky jobs- like photographer, fashion editor or freelance journalist, and are colourful, exotic and interesting to other people. New Londoners are nice people to be around apart from the fact that they get off on not being from here. So it's ok to work, live, breathe London, but being born here- how boring! is their mentality. Let's just say being born here would be uncool to this group of people.

Being born in London does however spell high class and mega sophistication to another group of people. People from the Middle east and generally all of Middle Asia. Find yourself in this part of the world and all you have to say is that you were born and raised in London- they will worship you! Believe me, when you have spent your whole life in a small town of a small country, being born in a capital city of a powerful country is totally where it's at. You will be worshipped in these places if you were born in London: Cyprus, Turkey, Dubai, Jordan, Israel, Egypt, Iran- to name but  few.

Let's talk about cool places to be born from a Londoner's perspective. Now let's see it'd be really cool for me if I were born somewhere in Africa. Yes, Africa, I wouldn't mind place of Birth : Musambasa, to appear on my passport, no siree- how exotic and colourful! Where would you like to be born in? ( She asks as if this were a possibility)

No comments:

Post a Comment